Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reason 5!

So I now have a new software suite, or DAW (digital audio workstation) that I'm working with. It is called Reason 5. I had been using Reason 4 for about 1 year now and Reason 5 is the next version. The whole interface has been improved for a better, faster workflow. But the most significant addition is the Kong Drum Designer. This is a modular device that slides into the hardware racks and helps you design your very own drum sounds. You can add effects and even do physical modeling of drums. This is very interesting to me. I haven't tried designing my own drum sounds but it is something I will definitely explore.

Most recently I made an instrumental beat using Reason 5 for a rapper I met on Twitter. He's a young guy and I think he'll appeal to the younger hip hop audience. He reminds me a bit of the rapper YG is big on the west coast right now. He has a playful and rhythmic rap flow. So I made a pretty simple beat with a bell melody, kick, snare, and clap, and also alternate drums for the chorus along with a tom roll before the chorus. If he records anything to the beat I'll be very happy. I did ask him for any feedback so I could change or improve parts of it. We'll see how this goes.

Aside from this, I have another East Los Angeles/Boyle Heights rapper who might record with me next week. Tuesdays are his days off. He wants to make a west coast party song so I'll be working on that. I want to get it done by Friday to send it him so he can write a verse or two to it. I'd like to write a hook and do a verse myself too. That way I transcend the role of beatmaker and get more into the producer and songwriter realm.

I think I found out a bit late that I wanted to pursue music. But this is fine because having my electrical engineering degree will most likely give me job stability and I can pursue this on the side until I make it big, if I ever do...

No comments:

Post a Comment